Early Career Researcher Opportunities
Are you ready to take the next step in your research career?
APPLICATIONS NOW OPEN! - APPLY HERE
The DST Early Career Researcher Opportunities Register is a portal for candidates to register their interest for ongoing (permanent) and non-ongoing (temporary) employment at DST. Part-time and full-time positions are available.
With multiple part-time and full-time positions available across DST's research areas, DST is seeking applications from candidates with qualifications and experience in the following academic discipline areas:
- Aerospace/ Aeronautical Engineering, and Naval Architecture
- Computer Sciences, IT, Software Engineering, Telecommunications
- Electronic/ Electrical Engineering
- Psychology and Social Sciences
- Materials Science
- Mechanical and Mechatronic Engineering (including Robotics)
- Chemical, Radiological, Biological and Food Sciences
- Mathematics and Physics
What is an Early Career Research Opportunity?
An 'Early Career Research Opportunity' is the next-stage in the career of a research scientist/ engineer, or industry professional with more than two-years relevant experience who want to contribute towards DST’s scientific innovations and research outcomes.
Why apply for an Early Career Researcher Opportunity?
With access to world-class facilities, Early Career Researchers will experience an innovative, research rich environment at the forefront of Defence science and technology.
DST has an extensive suite of professional development programs tailored for each stage of a Staff member's career. And if you are seeking to undertake a PhD, DST will support you to achieve this.
Family Friendly Working Conditions
Enjoy a standard working week of 37.5 hours, with access to flexible work arrangement options to ensure that you achieve a work/life balance.
Join DST's mentoring program and learn from some of the World's brightest Defence Scientists and Engineers to guide you through your research career.
Early Career Researcher Opportunities are available to Australian Citizens who have:
- More than 2-year's relevant industry or academic experience and are seeking to contribute to Defence Research; OR
- Graduated with a PhD and have relevant industry or academia experience.
Graduates with less than 2-years experience are encouraged to apply for the Defence Graduate Program: Research and Innovation Stream
When and where to apply?
Opportunities are advertised throughout the year and available from DST vacancies website.
Applications will be assessed regularly for the listed positions.
Candidates will be able to identify the positions they are interested in on the application form, however applications may also be considered for other opportunities that match a candidate's academic background and location preferences.
DST uses a holistic assessment approach to assessing candidate suitability. Applicants are required to:
- Complete an online application form, including uploading a resume, publication list, academic transcript, and addressing the following statement:
In no more than 1000 words, detail the relevant experience, qualities and skills that you would bring to DST and describe why you want to work for Defence. You are encouraged to detail any scientific/ technical achievements.
- Candidates who progress through to the second stage of the assessment process will be invited to complete a video submission to accompany their written application.
- Candidates identified as potentially suitable for a specific position, will be invited to have a discussion with the relevant work area.
Classification and Salary
Early Career Research Opportunities are available at the APS Level 4/5-6 (S&T Level 3-4), $65,133 to $89,449 per annum plus 15.4% superannuation.
Should you have any questions, please contact RPE@qfg.qrsrapr.tbi.nh
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Students
At DST, we want a workforce of talented people who excel and innovate by harnessing different views, ideas and experiences. We embrace diversity, and value the contribution Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people bring to our workplaces.
Eligible Indigenous students can apply for this program through the Indigenous pathway.
If you apply through this pathway, you will commence in the same program as your peers, under the same conditions.
Any question relating to Indigenous recruitment can be forwarded to the Indigenous Engagement Team.