Summer Vacation Placement Program
Each year DST offers a limited number of scholarships over the University summer vacation period.
The Summer Vacation Placement (SVP) Program is a 12-week paid program for high-performing undergraduate Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) students. SVP students are supervised by DST staff and use skills gained at university to work on a current Defence project. The program commences each November to coincide with the university summer break.
The SVP Program provides successful applicants the opportunity to gain work experience in a large research organisation. Successful applicants undertake a research project, work at a DST laboratory under the supervision of science and technology staff, and receive a support payment.
Successful applicants are responsible for their own travel, accommodation and associated costs.
Projects may be available at any DST site across Australia.
Applications for the Summer Vacation Placement Program are now closed. Positions for the 2020 intake will be advertised in April 2019.
To be eligible for the SVP program you must:
- be an Australian citizen;
- be a full-time tertiary student who will undertake full-time tertiary studies in the following year;
- have completed a minimum of two (2) years of tertiary study before starting a project;
- be available to undertake a full-time work placement between November and February; and
- be able to obtain a Baseline security clearance.
For further information, please contact the Science Outreach and Inclusion Team on QFGTebhcFGRZPbbeqvangbe@qfg.qrsrapr.tbi.nh