Modelling Complex Warfighting Strategic Research Investment
DST's Modelling Complex Warfighting Strategic Research Investment program is a five year program which seeks to revolutionise how DST undertakes operations analysis to better handle the interaction of complex geopolitical, social, technological, economic and cultural factors impacting the capability of the current force and design of the future force.
Force design is the planning and decision-making process regarding military equipment and future defence operations. Such decisions are often made under conditions of high uncertainty. The Modelling Complex Warfighting Strategic Research Investment program aims to address the force design and future defence force employment problems under four broad research themes:
- Conquering Uncertainty - Scientific methods to enable robust Force Design decisions to produce a resilient force through the understanding and management of uncertainty in Defence.
- Innovative Simulations - Novel modelling and simulation techniques to enable exploration of whole-of-force warfighting concepts and force options.
- Knowledge Synthesis - Synthesis of analytical and simulation results to support development of a joint force which is integrated by design.
- Modelling Complexity - Methods to enable understanding of properties of the joint force emerging as a result of nonlinear interactions between the many constituent elements.
Seven research projects, or strategic responses, are being undertaken under the Modelling Complex Warfighting Strategic Research Investment program:
- Machine discovered behaviour
- Simulation for future operating concept development
- Data-driven Defence operational analysis
- Modelling complex human systems under uncertainty
- Force effectiveness modelling
- Concepts for complexity-enabled warfare
- Transdisciplinary approaches to modelling unknowns.
The following figure indicates the alignment of each project with the research themes and the two epochs for force design, the current and future force.
Defence Science Networks
The Modelling Complex Warfighting Strategic Research Investment program works closely with the state-based university Defence Science Networks which comprises the:
- Defence Science Institute (DSI) in Victoria
- Defence Innovation Partnership (DIP) in South Australia
- Defence Innovation Network (DIN) in New South Wales.
These networks link the best and most relevant research capabilities in the university sector.