There are six major subject fields which DST uses to describe career options and opportunities within the DST Group.
- Human, Social and Health Sciences - Bio-technology, Operations/Simulation, Food Science, Behavioural and Social Science, Environmental Science, Biological Sciences, Physiology, Biomechanics
- Physical Sciences - Physics, Chemistry (including Energetic Materials), Electronic Warfare, Materials Science, Optoelectronics, Radar Technology, Sonar Technology, Instrumentation & Control, Evaluation & Experimentation, Acoustics
- Engineering and Technology - Aeronautical/Aerospace, Aircraft Structures, Electrical/Electronic, Flight Mechanics, Fluid Mechanics, Mechanical, Microwave, Robotics, Weapons Systems/Engineering, Systems Engineering and Integration, Naval Architecture, Materials Engineering
- Information, Computing and Communications - Artificial Intelligence & Agents, Information Technology, Communications, Computing/Mathematical, Computing/Programming, Signal Processing, Software Engineering, Telecommunications
- Mathematics - Mathematics, Statistics, Operations Research, Numerical Simulation/Modelling, Analysis
- Management - Business Management, Program Management, Project Management, S&T Management, Finance, Human Resources, Occupation Health Safety and Environment, Facilities, Communications