Application process and eligibility
Early Career Researcher Opportunities are available to Australian Citizens who have:
- More than 2-year's relevant industry or academic experience and are seeking to contribute to Defence Research; OR
- Graduated with a PhD and have relevant industry or academia experience.
Graduates with less than 2-years experience are encouraged to apply for the Defence Graduate Program: Research and Innovation Stream
When and where to apply?
Opportunities are advertised throughout the year and available from DST vacancies website.
Applications will be assessed regularly for the listed positions.
Candidates will be able to identify the positions they are interested in on the application form, however applications may also be considered for other opportunities that match a candidate's academic background and location preferences.
DST uses a holistic assessment approach to assessing candidate suitability. Applicants are required to:
- Complete an online application form, including uploading a resume, publication list, academic transcript, and addressing the following statement:
In no more than 1000 words, detail the relevant experience, qualities and skills that you would bring to DST and describe why you want to work for Defence. You are encouraged to detail any scientific/ technical achievements.
- Candidates who progress through to the second stage of the assessment process will be invited to complete a video submission to accompany their written application.
- Candidates identified as potentially suitable for a specific position, will be invited to have a discussion with the relevant work area.