Strategy | Resilient Multi-Mission Space
Providing resilient space-based services direct to the warfighter to enable the Australian Defence Force to prevail in increasingly contested operating environments.
‘Assured access to space is critical to ADF warfighting effectiveness, situational awareness and the delivery of real-time communications and information.’
— 2020 Defence Strategic Update
Space-based systems play a vital role in all ADF and coalition operations, wherever they occur around the world. From providing precise location information and situational understanding of the operating environment to enabling personnel and platforms to stay connected, assured access to satellite services and the freedom to operate in space are critical to the ADF’s ability to protect and defend Australia’s national interests.
Space is now a warfighting domain. Some countries are developing anti-satellite systems and denial-of-service measures that threaten space-based capabilities. Satellites and space systems used by Defence are becoming more vulnerable as the space domain changes from a benign environment into one that is increasingly congested and contested, where adversaries seek to limit the military advantage provided by space.
An agile and potent future force will rely on assured access to resilient and responsive space services. Seamless interoperability with coalition partners will also be necessary to support diverse missions across multiple locations around the globe.
- Advanced space-based surveillance capabilities to provide comprehensive situational awareness for superior decision-making.
- Secure and resilient communications delivered from space for a highly networked force.
- Resilient satellite services providing accurate position and timing information to enable precision effects in contested environments.
- Advanced space domain awareness and control for sovereign space operations.
- Autonomous space systems and processing capabilities to dynamically reconfigure and deliver space cloud services at speed and scale direct to the warfighter.
- Space systems hardened against anti-satellite and denial-of-service measures.